Dermatologist’s tips and skin care advice for clearing pimples and blackheads
Know your ingredients to fight acne:
- Benzoyl peroxide is the best non-prescription ingredient to fight the acne-causing bacteria P. acnes. The 2.5% benzoyl peroxide concentration is as effective as higher concentrations, and it’s less irritating. You can spot treat pimples or apply it twice a day to acne-prone skin to prevent pimples. It also helps fight blackheads
- Salicylic acid seeps into oily pores to break up plugs and blackheads. It’s tops for this job if your skin is oily.
- Pyrithione zinc helps reduce the acne-causing yeast called Pityrosporum (also called Malassezia.)
- Retinol is a great keratolytic, meaning it helps to bust up blackheads. It helps to lighten acne scars and hyperpigmentation (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation), too. Retinol has great anti-wrinkle benefits and is ideal for skin care that fights both acne and the signs of skin aging.
- Glycolic acid can be used to help keep pores clear, too. Like benzoyl peroxide, salicylic acid and retinol, it is a keratolytic. It also helps lighten acne scars and hyperpigmentation.
Wash your skin and apply products twice a day.
This gives you an opportunity to keep products working for you. It also removes oil, product, germs, makeup, dirt, and debris that can worsen acne.
Create a complete skin care with acne-fighting ingredients built from the essential steps of:
To fight acne, use cleansers and correcting products with the ingredients listed above. Also, use a non-pore-clogging moisturizer to balance skin hydration to fight dryness and irritation. Sun protection is important to prevent post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation as acne lesions heal.