What are the most important skin care tips to prevent acne?
It depends on your type of acne. Here are the most important control tips that I tell my dermatology patients for the four different types of acne:
Pityrosporum Folliculitis Type of Acne
- Signs: small bumps and pustules along the hair line, forehead, jaw line, neck, back, and chest
- Tips: always wash after sweating using a zinc pyrithione cleanser to control the pityrosporum yeast. Alternate this with a pore cleanser that can loosen clogged pores using ingredients such as salacylic acid, benzoyl peroxide, glycolic acid or a retinoid.
- Fastest fix: the Back Acne Kit plus the Pore Cleaning Pads with Salacylic acid and Glycolic acid.
- Signs: mostly blackheads on the T-Zone and sometimes all over the face
- Tips: use cleansers and pore cleaning products with salicylic acid, glycolic acid and benzoyl peroxide.
- Fastest fix: the Ultimate Acne Solutions Kit. Get deep pore-cleansing facials with extractions and keep them up, doing them as often as the blackheads come back.
- Signs: common acne with pustules and blackheads all over the face and down the back
- Tips: be sure to use benzoyl peroxide as it is the best over-the-counter ingredient to kill p. acnes, the germ that causes this type of acne. Keep pores clean by using glycolic acid and salicylic acid too. Retinoids are also powerful weapons against acne.
- Fastest fix: the Ultimate Acne Solutions Kit. Wash with the cleanser and use the pads twice a day. After washing and using the pads, apply the Benzoyl Peroxide Acne Treatment Cream that comes with the kit for your morning routine, and for your evening routine apply the Retinol Night Cream.
Hormonal Female Acne
- Signs: deep cycts without a lot of other acne. Typically related to a specific time each month in the menstrual cycle.
- Tips: see a doctor to discuss whether you are a candidate for birth control pills to balance out the hormones that drive this type of acne. Always use full topical care as mentioned above for acne vulgaris or pityrosporum folliculitis, which are often also present. Most of my Adult Hormonal Acne patients use the Ultimate Acne Kit during the day, then apply my Sheer Strength Pure Physical Tinted Matte Sunscreen. For those that wear makeup, dust my Pressed Mineral Powder on top to finish. At night they use Calming Zinc Soap, followed by the Day Cream for Normal to Oily Skin, and finished with the Retinol Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream. This fights both the signs of aging and acne.
- Fastest fix: the Ultimate Acne Kit, Calming Zinc Soap, Day Cream for Normal to Oily Skin, Retinol Night Cream, Sheer Strength Pure Mineral Sunscreen, and Pressed Mineral Powder.
What are universal tips for all types of acne?
Diet triggers acne! Avoid dairy foods. Limit junk foods, carbs and bad fats. Eat more fruits/veggies and whole foods.
The skin care products you use matter! Always use non-comedogenic skin care products on acne prone skin.
Sun exposure causes post inflammatory hyperpigmentation of acne scars that can leave permanent marks on your skin. Always wear a mineral sunscreen that is made for acne-prone complexions, like the Sheer Strength Pure Physical Tinted Matte Sunscreen.
If you want more in-depth, scientifically-based information on acne, see my Acne Advice Pages. All of the information on these pages is written by me, a Board Certified Dermatologist. I want professional quality information available to you, so that you can take control of your acne.
How do you treat your acne? Do you have a favorite product? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!
Interested to read more? See related posts: