Treatment for Seborrheic Dermatitis (Dandruff)
The medical name for dandruff is seborrheic dermatitis.
In my dermatology practice I see a lot of patients who think their scaly, red skin is just dry skin, but it is actually dandruff. Dandruff (seborrheic dermatitis) is so common that almost everyone will suffer from it at some point in their lifetime.
Signs that you may have seborrheic dermatitis include,
- Red, greasy, scaly skin in the nose crease or between the eyebrows in your teens
- ‘Dry’ and itchy scalp starting in your teen years and going on throughout your life
- ‘Dry’, red, scaly skin in the T-zone of your face at any time in life
- Crusty skin on, in, and behind your ears
- Flaking of your eyebrows
- Beardruff in your facial hair
- Crusty scale and itching of your eyelashes (blepharitis), especially in the morning when you wake from sleep
- Greasy, red scaly skin on your chest and upper back
The good news is that with the right Dr. Bailey Complete Skin Care routine you can control your seborrhea; use targeted over-the-counter products to keep your skin and scalp healthy and attractive (instead of red and scaly).
Remember, you always get the best results with Complete Skin Care. My Dr. Bailey Complete Skin Care Routine always involves 4 skin care steps:
Dermatologist recommended Complete Skin Care routine to control seborrhea.
CLEANSE: Use Calming Zinc™ Soap for facial seborrhea. It can be used on the trunk and ears, too. For hairy areas like the scalp use Foaming Zinc. A Facial Exfoliating Sponge or Salux Cloth can help to remove scale on the face and body. On the scalp, use a Scalp Scrubber. Gentle exfoliation with a rough scrub, such as my Bamboo and Clay Thermal Exfoliating Scrub, can work too. It's important not to be too rough with exfoliation, because seborrhea is a form of eczema. This means that the skin barrier is compromised and the skin is easily irritated. Because the skin barrier is more sensitive, all skin cleansers need to be gentle and non-drying. Some complexions may find the daily use of medicated pyrithione zinc is drying. When that is the case, try alternating the medicated product with a gentle non-medicated product to cleanse affected skin.
CORRECT: Facial seborrhea responds really well to my Green Tea Antioxidant Skin Therapy applied twice a day right after washing.
HYDRATE: Balance skin hydration to help broken skin barrier heal by applying a good moisturizer such as my Daily Face Creams or All Natural Body Butter or All Natural Lotion to involved non-hairy skin. Beardruff responds nicely to my Omega Enriched Booster Oil. Both of my Booster OIls are great for seborrhea prone skin.
PROTECT: I recommend one of my mineral zinc sunscreens be applied daily. Pick a sunscreen based on your skin type.
Dermatologist's tips to heal and control seborrheic dermatitis.
- Avoid harsh products on actively inflamed seborrhea or you will add irritation on top of the seborrhea – and irritation looks red and scaly! This applies to cleansers, acne products, anti-aging products, exfoliating products, and sunscreens.
- Medicated cleansers and shampoos are really helpful for seborrhea, so pick the right cleanser for the skin area you are treating. Pyrithione zinc is my favorite medicated cleanser and shampoo ingredient. Other ingredients for non-facial areas include shampoos with salicylic acid, selenium sulfide, tar, ketoconazole, and prescription ciclopirox.
- Pharmaceutical-grade green tea helps facial seborrhea. Over my 30 years of practicing dermatology, I’ve found this to be the most important skin care product along with medicated pyrithione zinc. I use these as the cornerstone of any skin care routine I build to treat seborrhea. I created my Facial Redness Relief Kit to fight facial seborrhea and rosacea. It combines Green Tea Antioxidant Skin Therapy ™ with Calming Zinc ™ Bar Soap.
- Fight beardruff with my Men's Beard Care Kit plus Foaming Zinc Cleanser.
- For thick crusty scale on scalp and ears, pre-treating skin with oil for 30 minutes before cleansing or shampooing really helps. Use coconut oil, mineral oil, olive oil, or any other oil. Wet the skin, towel dry, apply the oil, then wait 30 minutes or more. Shampoo or cleanse off the oil and as a last lather, use your medicated shampoo or soap.
- Always moisturize non-scalp areas of seborrhea to help the skin heal. Dry skin heals more slowly.
- Apply facial sunscreen daily if you have seborrhea because, as with most rashes, the barrier of the skin is compromised and sun may pass through to cause damage more easily. Use non-irritating mineral zinc oxide sunscreens matched to your skin type.
- For stubborn seborrhea, I use clotrimazole cream twice a day until the rash is clear for a month or so. This non-prescription anti-yeast cream provides additional control against the Pityrosporum yeast that plays a role in seborrhea. This medicated cream can also be applied to ear and trunk involvement, too. The cream base is too thick to use on hairy areas like the scalp. One-percent hydrocortisone cream on top of the clotrimazole is helpful if the rash won’t budge, but this medicine has side effects that include skin thinning of the application site and, if applied near the eyes, can cause eye damage. It should only be used under a doctor’s supervision.
For more information on facial seborrhea, and to focus on the products that I use for my Facial Seborrhea Complete Skin Care Routines click here.
For more information on scalp and body seborrhea, and to focus on the products that I use for my Body and Scalp Seborrhea Skin Care click here.
Let Dr. Bailey help.
Pick products from 1) Cleanse, 2) Correct, 3) Hydrate, 4) Protect.
Build your complete skin care regimen here!
Or view all her products for this search below.
View All 44 Products For This Search
This near-magical product combination is indispensable in my dermatology practice for calming facial redness.$88.20
State of the art antioxidant skin care powerhouse and my absolute favorite facial product. If you were going to pick just one antioxidant for your skin care, the best would be green tea - it helps calm skin redness and fights sun damage.
Regular Price: $86.00
Special Price $77.40
2% Zinc Pyrithione is my 'secret ingredient' that is forgotten in other acne treatments. It combats the skin yeast germ called pityrosporum. I find this germ to be the most common cause of acne on the back and chest.$23.00
A plastic scalp scrubber is a highly effective way to deep clean your scalp and to help control dandruff, 'dry scalp' and pimples on the scalp.$5.00
Gently exfoliates dead skin cells leaving your skin smooth and radiant.$3.00
Have smooth skin instantly! This long exfoliating wash cloth is now my favorite way to physically exfoliate skin on the body.$6.00
Dermatologist recommended to have an enviable beard free of beardruff, itching and dryness.$112.50
Non-drying, soap-free and pH balanced foaming skin cleansing for thorough removal of excess oil, dirt, debris and product residue. Gentle enough for all but the most intolerant and sensitive complexions.
Regular Price: $37.00
Special Price $33.30
Foaming cleanser for complete skin cleansing without drying. Ideal for sensitive skin or skin made sensitive by professional skin care routines (such as glycolic acid, retinol or acne products) or facial skin conditions such as rosacea or seborrhea. The Gentle Foaming Cleanser is an ideal cleanser to alternate with Calming Zinc or your acne cleanser.
Regular Price: $25.00
Special Price $22.50
Get smoother, softer cleaner looking skin with a more luminous appearance with this magic combination of physical exfoliation and thermal clay deep pore cleansing.
Regular Price: $55.00
Special Price $49.50
Unscented, glycerin-rich soap made with healing oats for your dry and sensitive skin.
Regular Price: $5.00
Special Price $4.50
Dermatologist-recommended hypoallergenic cleansing bar for extremely sensitive skin.$5.00
The right complete skin care routine is really important to healing your rosacea. My kit offers products to keep your complexion clear, healthy, and comfortable. >$319.05
Brighten your complexion with the extra clean that comes from using a gentle and non-drying toner after washing your facial skin.
Regular Price: $31.50
Special Price $28.35
Enjoy a new, winter escape and get rid of dull and dehydrated skin. Ring in the New Year with dewy, refined skin-texture and luminously-hydrated tone.$148.50
Hot dry climates or cozy winter weather don’t have to mean dehydrated and dull skin. Change your skin care with the season.$125.55
State of the art antioxidant skin care powerhouse and my absolute favorite facial product. If you were going to pick just one antioxidant for your skin care, the best would be green tea - it helps calm skin redness and fights sun damage.$151.20
Gentle, oil free hydration for facial skin. This light glycerin moisturizer is perfect for acne prone skin and to use in combination with all of our therapeutic facial products.
Regular Price: $26.00
Special Price $23.40
Richly moisturizing, non-greasy technology with just a hint of hydrating oils to balance dry facial skin. Fortified with antioxidants, vitamin E and CoQ10.
Regular Price: $28.00
Special Price $25.20
Advanced skin care technology for firmer, brighter and smoother skin instantly! Instantly brighter, firmer, and smoother skin that keeps getting better and better with time.
Regular Price: $82.00
Special Price $73.08
Mother Nature is an amazing chemist and sometimes just what the doctor ordered! My Omega Enriched Booster Oil combines ingredients that help calm inflamed and irritated skin while restoring a weakened skin barrier with essential fatty acids.$44.00
Deeply quench and hydrate dehydrated skin with rich, organic oils direct from Mother Nature. Our Face Booster Oil, Sensitive Skin Formula combines the most-effective, calming and non-fragrant plant oils for the best results.$44.00
Elegant and light-textured, natural moisturizer for dry to normal sensitive skin.
Regular Price: $22.00
Special Price $19.80
Highly Effective moisturizer to heal your extremely dry and sensitive skin.$26.00
At last, an ultra-light sunscreen spray that’s pure mineral protection with micro (not nano) zinc oxide for the best anti-aging broad spectrum protection.
Regular Price: $44.00
Special Price $39.60
Enjoy an oil free, non-whitening and “light as air” feel on your skin. Pure mineral zinc-oxide protection that’s perfect for even the most sensitive skin.
Regular Price: $47.00
Special Price $42.30
Oil-free and oil control ultra-light and tinted matte technology in a hypoallergenic sunscreen – it’s the holy grail for oily and sensitive skin AND it’s elegant for all skin types too! Contains iron oxide too making it the best sunscreen for melasma.
Regular Price: $47.00
Special Price $42.30
This luscious and all natural face cream is my absolute new favorite face sunscreen! Natural, broad-spectrum mineral zinc oxide protection that feels and looks so good on your skin that you'll want to wear it 24/7.
Regular Price: $45.00
Special Price $40.50
My SunSavvy Around Town Bundle is complete sun protection that’s perfect for everyday use. Whether you’re at work, school, a weekend outing, or special celebration, you’ll be covered.$113.85
Soaking up all the sunny-fun summer has to offer means extreme, sun-protection tools need to be close at hand. Yep. You're you’re going to be outside at BBQs, concerts, lounging by the pool, having fun in the river or on the lake, and more. You’ve been waiting all year for this! And, I’ve got your skin covered so that you get all the bliss without the sun damage.$172.35
My favorite sunscreen for sports, swimming and sweaty activities. Solbar Zinc provides protection for up to 80 minutes in the water with its hefty 7.5% mineral zinc oxide combined with other chemical sunscreen agents. Oil free and shouldn't aggravate acne.$13.00
My favorite every day sunscreen! I wear it every day on my face, neck and chest! It gives a great matte finish that's SPF 40 and water resistant for up to 80 minutes.$35.00
The best dermatologist recommended mineral sunscreen products for everyday protection. This kit includes Citrix Sunscreen SPF 40 for the face, ears, and neck, along with Solbar Zinc Sunscreen SPF 38 for the chest, hands, and other areas that need sun protection.$43.20
The Ultimate Sun Protection Kit provides everything you'll need to protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays.This kit includes Sun Guard Laundry Treatment, UV Ray Detecto Ring, Vanicream Lip Protectant, Solbar Zinc SPF 38 Sunscreen and Citrix Sunscreen SPF 40 and a mesh travel bag for your products.$56.25
Broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection in a lovely moisturizing lotion that's sheer and elegant of the skin. Perfect for normal to dry skin with it's hyaluronic acid and just a little light oil to moisturize your skin without leaving a heavy feel.$26.50
Completely oil free and ultra light feel on the skin make this sunscreen a marvel. Perfect for oily to normal and acne prone skin. Comes with either a clear or tinted option to help soften complexion flaws for all skin types.$32.50
Not everyone has flexible shoulders and the Back Applicator reaches where the shoulders can't.$12.00
Non-greasy natural non-nano zinc oxide mineral sunscreen for every day sun protection. This is a lovely natural mineral sunscreen made with organic ingredients - and it's not just for babies!
Regular Price: $24.00
Special Price $21.60
The highest performance sunscreen I’ve ever found. A product that’s perfect for the most active kids, high powered athletes and sensitive skin all in one! Reef safe too.$20.00
Out of stock
Raw Elements is the highest performance sunscreen I’ve ever found. A product that’s perfect for your most rigorous athletic activities in intense sun exposure circumstances. Reef safe too.$19.00
Lightweight, cool, and breathable cloth UPF 50 sun protection hats. Get in the habit of wearing this broad−brimmed hat along with your broad spectrum sunscreen − proven effective in the prevention of skin cancer and premature aging. Fits your head perfectly with its clever, adjustable inner brim cord. Highly packable too and makes a great gift!$25.00
These stylish and high-performance men's microfiber hats have a breathable mesh lining and a 3 1/4" brim. They fit perfectly and won't blow off because they have both an adjustable chin strap and an adjustable brim strap to hold them securely to your head.$19.00
Out of stock
Good looking and high-performance sun protection for kids.$15.00
Out of stock