Hyperpigmentation implies that excess, unwanted pigment has created a dark spot that is beyond the norm for a given person’s complexion tone. This can happen for many reasons.
What are the most common reasons for dark spots and hyperpigmentation?
- Healed skin injuries including pimples, rashes, and wounds that leave excess pigment (called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation)
- Age spots (solar lentigines and seborrheic keratosis)
- Thickened and excessive dead skin cells that have held melanin pigment
Because melanin pigment production is stimulated by UV sun exposure, the most important treatment step is sun protection.
What skin care products do dermatologists use to treat skin with dark spots due to hyperpigmentation?
- Broad spectrum sun protection is essential to prevent pigment production that makes the problem worse.
- Exfoliation of the dead cell layer that holds pigment will lighten hyperpigmentation. An exfoliating sponge, scrub or shower cloth is a simple way to exfoliate excess pigment in dead cells. Use of glycolic acid that helps loosen dead cells also helps even skin color, which improves hyperpigmentation.
- Using of skin care products that lower the production rate of melanin will help as well. These include retinoids (retinol and tretinoin), vitamin C, hydroquinone, and some botanicals such as kojic acid.
Find products below including face and body glycolic acid products, my Retinol Night Cream, sunscreens, my Pigment Fading Pads, skin care routines and more that I have use for years to treat problems with uneven skin pigment in my dermatology practice.
Let Dr. Bailey help.
Pick products from 1) Cleanse, 2) Correct, 3) Hydrate, 4) Protect.
Build your complete skin care regimen here!
Or view all her products for this search below.
No Products Available
No Products Available
View All 8 Products For This Search
Have smooth skin instantly! This long exfoliating wash cloth is now my favorite way to physically exfoliate skin on the body.$6.00
Not everyone has flexible shoulders and the Back Applicator reaches where the shoulders can't.$12.00
The Ultimate Sun Protection Kit provides everything you'll need to protect your skin from the sun's harmful rays.This kit includes Sun Guard Laundry Treatment, UV Ray Detecto Ring, Vanicream Lip Protectant, Solbar Zinc SPF 38 Sunscreen and Citrix Sunscreen SPF 40 and a mesh travel bag for your products.$57.50
Turn everyday clothing into sun protection garments. Wearing sun protective clothing is essential for comprehensive, complete sun protection of your skin!$4.00
These stylish and high-performance men's microfiber hats have a breathable mesh lining and a 3 1/4" brim. They fit perfectly and won't blow off because they have both an adjustable chin strap and an adjustable brim strap to hold them securely to your head.$19.00
Out of stock
Good looking and high-performance sun protection for kids.$15.00
Out of stock
Block UV rays with confidence with this titanium umbrella. Make the shade follow you! This is my ultimate travel accessory and I never pack my suit case without it!$45.00
Learn when you are exposed to harmful UV rays. The Detecto-Ring consists of plastic UV sensing beads and a colored key ring. Keep it on your key ring and test your sun exposure - the white beads turn color when they're exposed to UV-A or UV-B. Get ready to be surprised!$2.50