Hyperpigmentation implies that excess, unwanted pigment has created a dark spot that is beyond the norm for a given person’s complexion tone. This can happen for many reasons.
What are the most common reasons for dark spots and hyperpigmentation?
- Healed skin injuries including pimples, rashes, and wounds that leave excess pigment (called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation)
- Age spots (solar lentigines and seborrheic keratosis)
- Thickened and excessive dead skin cells that have held melanin pigment
Because melanin pigment production is stimulated by UV sun exposure, the most important treatment step is sun protection.
What skin care products do dermatologists use to treat skin with dark spots due to hyperpigmentation?
- Broad spectrum sun protection is essential to prevent pigment production that makes the problem worse.
- Exfoliation of the dead cell layer that holds pigment will lighten hyperpigmentation. An exfoliating sponge, scrub or shower cloth is a simple way to exfoliate excess pigment in dead cells. Use of glycolic acid that helps loosen dead cells also helps even skin color, which improves hyperpigmentation.
- Using of skin care products that lower the production rate of melanin will help as well. These include retinoids (retinol and tretinoin), vitamin C, hydroquinone, and some botanicals such as kojic acid.
Find products below including face and body glycolic acid products, my Retinol Night Cream, sunscreens, my Pigment Fading Pads, skin care routines and more that I have use for years to treat problems with uneven skin pigment in my dermatology practice.
Let Dr. Bailey help.
Pick products from 1) Cleanse, 2) Correct, 3) Hydrate, 4) Protect.
Build your complete skin care regimen here!
Or view all her products for this search below.
View All 8 Products For This Search
Fade an uneven complexion almost instantly with the best pigment lightening products. Reverse fine lines and wrinkles and return your appearance to younger days. This kit has everything proven to do the job!$327.00
Enjoy an oil free, non-whitening and “light as air” feel on your skin. Pure mineral zinc-oxide protection that’s perfect for even the most sensitive skin.$47.00
Oil-free and oil control ultra-light and tinted matte technology in a hypoallergenic sunscreen – it’s the holy grail for oily and sensitive skin AND it’s elegant for all skin types too! Contains iron oxide too making it the best sunscreen for melasma.$47.00
This luscious and all natural face cream is my absolute new favorite face sunscreen! Natural, broad-spectrum mineral zinc oxide protection that feels and looks so good on your skin that you'll want to wear it 24/7.$45.00
Completely oil free and ultra light feel on the skin make this sunscreen a marvel. Perfect for oily to normal and acne prone skin. Comes with either a clear or tinted option to help soften complexion flaws for all skin types.$32.50
Natural non-nano mineral zinc oxide sun protection in a deeply hydrating base for your delicate lip skin. Prevent skin cancer and future wrinkles with daily use of sunscreen. That means lips too. Ever notice older lips are pale, shriveled, dry and chapped all the time. That’s sun damage. Just say no by wearing lip sun protection 365 days a year.$28.00
Raw Elements is the highest performance sunscreen I’ve ever found. A product that’s perfect for your most rigorous athletic activities in intense sun exposure circumstances. Reef safe too.$19.00
The highest performance sunscreen I’ve ever found. A product that’s perfect for the most active kids, high powered athletes and sensitive skin all in one! Reef safe too.$20.00