Hyperpigmentation implies that excess, unwanted pigment has created a dark spot that is beyond the norm for a given person’s complexion tone. This can happen for many reasons.
What are the most common reasons for dark spots and hyperpigmentation?
- Healed skin injuries including pimples, rashes, and wounds that leave excess pigment (called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation)
- Age spots (solar lentigines and seborrheic keratosis)
- Thickened and excessive dead skin cells that have held melanin pigment
Because melanin pigment production is stimulated by UV sun exposure, the most important treatment step is sun protection.
What skin care products do dermatologists use to treat skin with dark spots due to hyperpigmentation?
- Broad spectrum sun protection is essential to prevent pigment production that makes the problem worse.
- Exfoliation of the dead cell layer that holds pigment will lighten hyperpigmentation. An exfoliating sponge, scrub or shower cloth is a simple way to exfoliate excess pigment in dead cells. Use of glycolic acid that helps loosen dead cells also helps even skin color, which improves hyperpigmentation.
- Using of skin care products that lower the production rate of melanin will help as well. These include retinoids (retinol and tretinoin), vitamin C, hydroquinone, and some botanicals such as kojic acid.
Find products below including face and body glycolic acid products, my Retinol Night Cream, sunscreens, my Pigment Fading Pads, skin care routines and more that I have use for years to treat problems with uneven skin pigment in my dermatology practice.
Let Dr. Bailey help.
Pick products from 1) Cleanse, 2) Correct, 3) Hydrate, 4) Protect.
Build your complete skin care regimen here!
Or view all her products for this search below.
View All 12 Products For This Search
Fade an uneven complexion almost instantly with the best pigment lightening products. Reverse fine lines and wrinkles and return your appearance to younger days. This kit has everything proven to do the job!$327.00
Professional glycolic acid skin care products are among the best, non-prescription anti-wrinkle face creams that also fight sun spots. Glycolic acid rejuvenates and reverses so many of the signs of skin aging including: dull skin, fine lines and wrinkles, crepey skin, sun spots, and crusty age spots.$72.00
My Complete Skin Care Kit for Men fights facial redness and premature skin aging all at the same time.$175.00
Eco-friendly beads combine with AHA and BHA to instantly brighten your complexion. Loosen dull dead cells and uneven pigmentation. Renew skin luster to a more youthful glow and instantly reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.$46.00
This rich soap-free cleanser brightens your complexion and leaves your skin silky smooth and ready for your treating and correcting products. Ideal for all skin types including oily skin because it gently but thoroughly removes product, oil, dirt and debris from the skin surface.$34.00
Most regular acne products are irritating to sensitive skin, but this acne treatment kit delivers the best acne medications at levels that are appropriate for sensitive skin.$56.00
Tolerant skin benefits from the high concentration of acne medicine in the Ultimate Acne Solutions Skin Care Kit, Extra Strength.$65.00
Our Dr. Bailey Foaming Acne Treatment Cleanser, formulated for sensitive skin types. This 2% Glycolic Acid/2% Salicylic Acid foaming cleanser is strong enough to remove oil and debris from clogged pores while remaining gentle enough for most sensitive skin.$22.00
This extremely strong 10% Glycolic Acid/2% Salicylic Acid foaming cleanser is the strongest acne cleanser I recommend. Regular use dissolves oil and black heads. It's ideal for tolerant skin.$26.00
2% Glycolic Acid and 2% Salicylic Acid acne treatment medicines are strong enough to treat stubborn acne but gentle on sensitive skin.$20.50
Tolerant skin benefits from 10% glycolic acid, which I think is the ideal concentration to loosen black heads. These medicated pads perform this feat while lifting oil and debris from the skin.$26.00
This is an excellent exfoliating foaming cleanser that preps the skin for glycolic acid creams and lotions. It's an excellent cleanser for acne treatment or to exfoliate as part of an anti aging skin care regimen.$31.00