Hyperpigmentation implies that excess, unwanted pigment has created a dark spot that is beyond the norm for a given person’s complexion tone. This can happen for many reasons.
What are the most common reasons for dark spots and hyperpigmentation?
- Healed skin injuries including pimples, rashes, and wounds that leave excess pigment (called post inflammatory hyperpigmentation)
- Age spots (solar lentigines and seborrheic keratosis)
- Thickened and excessive dead skin cells that have held melanin pigment
Because melanin pigment production is stimulated by UV sun exposure, the most important treatment step is sun protection.
What skin care products do dermatologists use to treat skin with dark spots due to hyperpigmentation?
- Broad spectrum sun protection is essential to prevent pigment production that makes the problem worse.
- Exfoliation of the dead cell layer that holds pigment will lighten hyperpigmentation. An exfoliating sponge, scrub or shower cloth is a simple way to exfoliate excess pigment in dead cells. Use of glycolic acid that helps loosen dead cells also helps even skin color, which improves hyperpigmentation.
- Using of skin care products that lower the production rate of melanin will help as well. These include retinoids (retinol and tretinoin), vitamin C, hydroquinone, and some botanicals such as kojic acid.
Find products below including face and body glycolic acid products, my Retinol Night Cream, sunscreens, my Pigment Fading Pads, skin care routines and more that I have use for years to treat problems with uneven skin pigment in my dermatology practice.
Let Dr. Bailey help.
Pick products from 1) Cleanse, 2) Correct, 3) Hydrate, 4) Protect.
Build your complete skin care regimen here!
Or view all her products for this search below.
No Products Available
View All 8 Products For This Search
Get smoother, softer cleaner looking skin with a more luminous appearance with this magic combination of physical exfoliation and thermal clay deep pore cleansing.$52.00
Enjoy an oil free, non-whitening and “light as air” feel on your skin. Pure mineral zinc-oxide protection that’s perfect for even the most sensitive skin.$47.00
At last, an ultra-light sunscreen spray that’s pure mineral protection with micro (not nano) zinc oxide for the best anti-aging broad spectrum protection.$44.00
Oil-free and oil control ultra-light and tinted matte technology in a hypoallergenic sunscreen – it’s the holy grail for oily and sensitive skin AND it’s elegant for all skin types too! Contains iron oxide too making it the best sunscreen for melasma.$47.00
Completely oil free and ultra light feel on the skin make this sunscreen a marvel. Perfect for oily to normal and acne prone skin. Comes with either a clear or tinted option to help soften complexion flaws for all skin types.$32.50
Broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection in a lovely moisturizing lotion that's sheer and elegant of the skin. Perfect for normal to dry skin with it's hyaluronic acid and just a little light oil to moisturize your skin without leaving a heavy feel.$26.50
My favorite every day sunscreen! I wear it every day on my face, neck and chest! It gives a great matte finish that's SPF 40 and water resistant for up to 80 minutes.$35.00
Non-greasy natural non-nano zinc oxide mineral sunscreen for every day sun protection. This is a lovely natural mineral sunscreen made with organic ingredients - and it's not just for babies!$24.00