How do you stop eczema from itching?
- Keep your skin cool and moisturized. Heat causes increased blood flow to deliver the immune building blocks that causes inflammation – It can make eczema worse.
- When skin itches, don’t scratch! Instead you can spritz cool water on it, apply an ice pack wrapped in a towel, or a towel moistened with cold water.
- Keep your nails short to prevent skin breaks or stimulating redness in the skin when you do accidentally scratch. It sounds simple, but it’s important.
When you have severely itchy eczema, you can go one step further with cooling and moisturizing your skin to help relieve itch. This treatment is called “wet wraps.” With this treatment, moisturizer or topical medicine is applied underneath a cloth soaked with cool water. This is a highly effective treatment and can quiet down a severe flare of eczema. Wet wraps serve the dual purpose of helping to moisturize skin and deliver medicine such as cortisone cream, while at the same time preventing scratching. In the ‘olden days’ of my dermatology residency training (shockingly before many of my readers were born!), we would hospitalize patients who needed this treatment. Nurses would slather an ointment on the patient’s skin, wrap them from neck to toes in cloth and ladle cool water on them for hours. It was a very successful treatment for a severe eczema flare – and a well-intended form of water torture for the chilly patients who also were thankful for relief for the intense itch of severe eczema.
For more information, visit our Eczema Index Pages:
- 1. What are some of the signs that you might be predisposed to the atopic dermatitis type of eczema?
- 2. What skin problems are associated with atopic eczema?
- 3. What is the right way to wash your skin to prevent eczema?
- 4. What is the best lotion for eczema-prone skin so that it will heal?
- 5. How often should you bathe when you have Atopic Eczema?
- 6. What are the best dermatologist-recommended lotions and remedies for eczema?
- 7. How do you stop eczema from itching?
- 8. How can you prevent getting a skin infection when you have eczema?
- 9. Can your clothing make your eczema worse?
Most Popular Products for Treatment of Eczema
1. VaniCream Cleansing Bar (head-to-toe hypoallergenic, dermatologist-trusted skin cleansing for sensitive skin).
2. Toleriane Cleanser (My favorite hypoallergenic sensitive skin facial skin cleanser).
3. VaniCream (Hypoallergenic, richly moisturizing, somewhat heavy feel on the skin that comes from petrolatum).
4. Naturally Best Bar Soap (natural skin cleansing for the entire family. The natural soap making process preserves the deeply hydrating glycerin, making this my go-to cleanser for those wanting entirely natural skin care).
5. Natural Foaming Hand Cleanser (an easy rinse formula to keep at every sink where you wash your hands. Keep the pump container of the Natural Lotion right next to the Cleanser to moisturize your hands during the day after washing).
6. Natural Lotion (made with organic ingredients that are entirely botanically based and hypoallergenic. It is eco-friendly and has a light feel that absorbs nicely into the skin).
7. Natural Face and Body Butter (rich and soothing botanical ingredients that are entirely hypoallergenic, eco-friendly and deeply hydrating).