Winter, fall and spring are the best times of the year to fix your uneven pigmentation and lighten your age spots. By far, the most effective home treatment is the Obagi Nu Derm System.
I love the Obagi Nu Derm results. I’ve started using it again for the fall and my skin just glows! No other combination of home skin care products can match the ‘wow’ effect that I get with Obagi.
Obagi Nu Derm is a 3 to 4 month home treatment course of powerful skin lighteners, exfoliators and skin penetrators. You stop using your normal skin care products and use only the Nu Derm products because they work synergistically. The exfoliators and penetrators allow the skin lighteners to reach down deep into the skin to treat the really stubborn pigment.
In my practice, patients use Obagi for a total of 3 or 4 months because the powerful skin lightening medicine (hydroquinone) isn’t something I think should be used indefinitely. Patients are instructed on product use by my two wonderful aestheticians who have been certified and trained in the Obagi System.
The powerful ingredients in the Obagi Nu Derm System can be irritating to skin and my aestheticians are available to help patients troubleshoot product usage. Calming facials work wonders to soothe the skin during the Obagi Nu Derm treatment process and I highly recommend them given at monthly intervals. If the skin begins to flake or peel, a gentle microdermabrasion treatment followed by a calming facial can really get the skin looking lovely.
I used Obagi about this same time last year and right now I’m 2 weeks into my current treatment course. My husband keeps looking at my skin telling me how pretty it looks. The Obagi company claims that the Nu Derm system is ‘transforming’ and in my experience the results really are.
Here’s the instructions we give patients in our office:
Dermatologist Dr. Cynthia Bailey’s instructions for using Obagi Nu Derm
In the morning:
- Wash with the Cleanser (step 1) and rinse well
- Apply the Toner (step 2) with a cotton ball
- Apply a generous layer of the Clear (step 3)
- Apply a thin layer of the Exfoderm or Exfoderm Forte (step 4) where tolerated. See Trouble Shooting Below
- Apply a generous layer of Healthy Skin Protection Sunscreen (step 6)
In the evening
- Wash with the Cleanser as above
- Apply the Toner as above
- Apply the Clear as above
- Wait 15 minutes
- Mix the Blender (step 5) with the tretinoin and apply where tolerated. See Trouble Shooting Below
Trouble Shooting: The powerful exfoliators and skin penetrators can be irritating and contrary to the official Obagi package information, you don’t need to let your skin get irritated to get great results. When your skin begins to get red and sensitive, stop using the Exfoderm or Exfoderm Forte for a day or so until the sensitivity subsides. The same goes for the tretinoin. You may find that only certain areas of your face are sensitive and in that case, I recomment that you just stop using these products in those areas.
The Obagi Nu Derm results really are skin transforming. Skin becomes luminous, pigment more even and the skin texture is refined. The best results are obtained with supervised counseling by knowledgeable skin professionals who are experienced with the Nu Derm program. The ultimate process is to combine the Nu Derm system with monthly calming facials and if needed, microdermabrasion treatments.
Dr. Bailey’s New Information on Obagi Nu-Derm Added in 2018!
I no longer use Obagi Nu Derm in my practice! Nope, times have changed, and so have formulations. It’s not that Obagi is not as effective, it is that the original products relied on formulations filled with preservatives for shelf life. Skin care technology has thankfully evolved.
My new kit uses freshly made hydroquinone pads that are enhanced with botanical skin lighteners; these contain tyrosinase inhibitors to turn off pigment. Tyrosinase is the key enzyme in melanin synthesis – turn it off or down and you regulate pigment production in your skin.
- By making the hyroquinone pads fresh for you when you place your order, you don’t need to expose your skin to the heavy preservative systems needed to keep the hydroquinone from going bad (inactivating rapidly).
- I’ve combined gentle but effective skin cleansers with penetration enhancing products that also turn down pigment production by their own unique mechanisms (these contain glycolic acid and retinol that also fight wrinkles).
- I’ve paired the “correcting” products with the best skin moisturizer and great broad spectrum zinc oxide sunscreen.
The end result is great control of melasma and uneven facial pigment without all the old fashioned preservatives.
Click here to learn about my much more natural evolution in the original Obagi concept.