The Best Way to Fight Wrinkles & Acne at the Same Time
Have you been stuck with the acne versus wrinkle dilemma? This happens in the following scenarios:
- When you use products to treat your acne and your skin gets really dried out, which makes it look more wrinkled and crinkled.
- When you use beauty creams to fight wrinkles, which often contain oils and are designed for "mature" complexions - leaving you with clogged pores and pimples.
For those of you with both acne and aging skin this creates a "no-win" situation! You want to take good care of your skin, but you end up with product-induced skin problems. It's no wonder that many people are confused and frustrated!
Can you fight wrinkles and acne at the same time?
Yes, and actually, it's easy! There are two powerful skin care ingredients that both rejuvenate skin to fight wrinkles and that help fight acne and blackheads at the same time. The "sweet spot" ingredients in the fight against acne and wrinkles are:
- Glycolic Acid
The bottom line for tackling both skin issues is to use one or both of these ingredients in your regular skin care routine. You want professional strength products so forget using cosmetic counter products. This is because you only get results when you use these ingredients in high concentrations and in formulations that are made to preserve ingredient activity.
Our most popular glycolic acid product is our Glycolic Acid Anti-Aging Face Cream 15%. It can be used as a daily moisturizer under your sunscreen or as a night cream. For really tolerant complexions, it can even be layered under or on top of a retinoid at night. In addition for really oily complexions, we also have our Glycolic Acid Kit for Oily Skin. Retinoids include retinol and prescription tretinoin. These are always applied at night because they break down on contact with light. Our Retinol Intensive Anti-Wrinkle Night Cream is an excellent choice for all complexion types. You can apply a moisturizer on top if you have dry skin.
Retinoids and glycolic acid address both acne and aging skin issues beautifully and in concert. It's a perfect dovetail and almost too good to be true - but it's not. Here is how they work the magic:
- Both glycolic acid and retinoids exfoliate to treat microcomedones (incipient blackheads). These products help to fight the first step of the pimple-forming cascade before it gets out of control. (Yay!)
- Both glycolic acid and retinoids stimulate collagen formation and hyaluronic acid production in the skin. This is the first step to reverse wrinkles and restore a dewy, youthful skin tone to aging skin, which is exactly what we want, right?
- As a bonus, both glycolic acid and retinoids also help to even out uneven pigment due to sun damage and post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation from resolved pimples.
For the best anti-aging and anti-acne skin care, wear a broad spectrum mineral zinc sunscreen (SPF 30+) every day and use a non-drying facial skin cleanser - you'll be set to control acne and right the signs of skin aging. All that frustration and confusion and the answer was really that simple! So, yes, it's possible to treat your acne and wage a war on wrinkles and skin aging without having to pick one over the other and live with the consequences!
What other skin issues do you know of where the treatments seem to cancel the benefits? Let me know in the comments below, and I'll do my best to help!