From the Aesthetician: Makeup Tips for Any Age
It doesn’t matter who you are, or what type of skin you have, if your skin is hydrated and polished, the skin will be in the perfect condition to apply your makeup. Here are some tips broken down according to age group: 15-20 Years of Age At this stage in life, many different hormones go through the body. Sometimes these are natural and other times they are something that you take, such as birth control. Regardless, they can cause acne as well as hyper-pigmentation along with melasma. Sometimes people try to use makeup to cover up the acne, but this often leads to inflammation and red skin tones. To take the best care of your skin during this stage in life, follow these steps:
- Wash every morning with Dr. Bailey’s Calming Zinc Soap, which is a soothing medicated soap that's chock full of naturally hydrating glycerin and healing ingredients.
- Follow that up with the Replenix CF Cream. It works well for pre-teenage and teenage skin because it is oil-free and won't clog pores, making it an excellent moisturizer for acne or to prevent blackheads from forming.
- Next, use an acne treatment product if needed such as Dr. Bailey's Acne Treatment Cream followed by a sunscreen to prevent hyper-pigmentation and wrinkles. At Advanced Skin Care and Dermatology Physicians, one of our favorite sunscreens is the EltaMD UV Clear SPF 46 Sunscreen. It's oil-free and noncomedogenic. This or the MDSolar Sciences Mineral Tinted Crème SPF 30 Broad Spectrum sunscreen is the best sunscreen for oily skin and acne-prone skin.
20-25 Years of Age In this age group, you might still be dealing with some acne or acne scarring as well as starting to see signs of premature aging if you've been spending too much time in the sun or in a tanning bed. This can give your skin an uneven texture. Not so great for a makeup application, huh? What can you do at this stage in life to start an anti-aging regimen that also addresses any acne tendencies left over from the teen years? Here are a few recommendations:
- Glytone Mild Gel Wash is an excellent Glycolic Acid cleanser for adult acne.
- Combine the Gel Wash with a Facial Buf Puf. It brightens the complexion - a perfect combination for makeup application! While the Glycolic helps with resurfacing as well as helping prevent blackheads, the Buf Puf manipulates the skin cells away. These actions combined are a great start to anti-aging since strong Glycolic Acid products help reverse wrinkles by giving the outer skin a finer texture and by building new collagen. They also help keep pores free of blackheads and help to even out any hyperpigmentation.
- For skin lightening, we always recommend Glycolic Acid when people ask about bleaching cream for melasma or want to resurface uneven textured skin. Consider using Dr Bailey's oil-free Glycolic Acid Face Cream followed by a sunscreen matched to your skin type such as the ones listed above.
25-35 Years of Age At this age range, the skins starts to age and appears to sag and look thinner, and possibly, even look like crepe. In short, collagen and elasticity are starting to break down thus causing the skin to age. As a result, it gets harder to keep your eyeliner/mascara from smudging, running and looking like you have raccoon eyes at the end of your day. Pretty depressing, huh? Before you start to fret, try these tips to help lock in eyeliner to prevent the infamous “black eyes.”
- Apply a BB cream to your face, neck and chest, as this will make everything glow. It’s also a great base with which to start. In case you don’t know what a BB cream is, it stands for “beauty balm” and promises to deliver moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sun protection all in one product. It is made to hydrate the skin while giving you sun protection and a base for makeup. Find the perfect match that is suitable for your skin type (oily or dry). For dryer skin, Suntegrity 5-in-1 BB Cream SPF 30 Tinted Moisturizing Facial Sunscreen is our favorite. For those of you with oily skin, MDSolarSciences Mineral Tinted Crème SPF 30 Broad Spectrum sunscreen is our pick.
- Apply pencil or liquid eyeliner, or use an eye shadow and make a liner to enhance the eye area. (Quick tip: To make a paste with the eye shadow, add water and shadow together, make a paste in the hands, and apply with a flat liner brush.)
- Apply a mineral base powder all over the face with a kabuki brush. Mineral makeup from Dr. Bailey Skin Care is made from only the finest mineral ingredients and triple milled to a delicate, ultra-fine powder. This creates a makeup texture so fine that it layers invisibly on your skin to give you the look of a naturally flawless complexion. What’s more, it seals in your liner to make sure it will not smudge all day!
Bonus: Use Blinc mascara! Blinc invented a technology breakthrough in mascara that allows for the easy application of water-resistant “tubes” around your lashes, which differs from the painted on coverage of conventional mascaras. Once applied, the tubes encase your lashes and will not run, smudge, clump or flake, even if you cry or rub your eyes. I personally love Blinc mascara! I give Dr. Bailey a microdermabrasion facial every 4-6 weeks, and usually, we remove all eye makeup with Avene's Gentle Eye Makeup Remover. Her lashes, however, stay perfect because she uses Blinc. It adds both volume and length to her lashes giving her a radiant, natural look that lasts all day long. When it comes time to remove your mascara, the tubes slide off your lashes into your hands effortlessly, without the use of harsh makeup remover, leaving no tint or residue behind. It’s definitely worth checking out! 35-45 Years of Age “My brows are getting shorter, and my lashes are getting very thin!” This statement is one of the most common complaints I hear from people within this age bracket. Having brows that are noticeably shorter at the end of the arch doesn’t make for a full eye brow arch. Therefore when makeup is complete, there is something missing. What can you do to fix your eyebrows? Check out our recommendations:
- Let’s start with understanding how to shape your eyebrows. The shape is correct when the beginning of the brow is aligned with the center of the nostril, and the arch falls over the back third of the eye. Take an eye shadow color closest to your brow color (I use Dr. Bailey’s Smokey Trio taupe grey) and an angled makeup brush. (I love our silky-soft brushes that are mounted on natural bamboo handles. The set is wrapped in a convenient, natural, hemp and cotton pouch. We use our makeup brushes professionally in our Medical Aesthetician room, and they do not break down even after going through the disinfectant process all day long!) Swipe your angled eyeliner/brow brush, 6.25 inches, through the chosen color tap to dust off excess makeup. Start at the beginning of the brow, at the center of the nostril, and continue to swipe through the whole brow making sure you follow through to the back third of the eye to complete the eyebrow arch!
- Something else you can do, not for your eyebrows, but your eyes is Latisse. Also known as prostaglandin analog therapy, Latisse is designed to treat hypotrichosis of the eyelashes by increasing their growth including length, thickness and even darkness. Most patients will see results in as little as two weeks and start to really love them in four weeks. Dr. Bailey shares her secrets to maintaining beautiful eyelashes and brows here, while also undergoing chemotherapy.
45-55 Years of Age & Up At this age, the skin is thinning and is becoming flakey, dry and uneven. As we age, there are very few of us that become oilier, unless we are in a very humid climate. It’s all about filling in the wrinkle and evening out tones and textures at this stage in life. The best way to do this is to have the ultimate regimen for hydrated skin, so your makeup still looks great. I love when my 45-year-old and up patients have the dewy look! How can you get this? Follow these steps:
- In the morning, wash with Toleriane Gentle Cleanser, followed by Naturally Hydrating Rose Toner (coming soon to our website!), Instantly Luminous Multi-Action Serum (coming soon to our website!), Vitamin C Anti-Wrinkle Professional Treatment Serum, and Glycolic Acid Anti-Aging Face Cream 15% with a Suntegrity 5-in-1 BB cream. Finish your morning ritual with a mineral powder sunscreen.
- In the evening, wash with Glytone Mild Gel Wash every other night and use Replenix Exfoliating Scrub. Then, apply, for a second time for the day, Naturally Hydrating Rose Toner and Instantly Luminous Multi-Action Serum. Lastly, choose from Retinol Intensive Anti-Wrinkle 5x or Retinol Ultra Intensive Anti-Wrinkle 10x to lock in moisture as the Retinol resurfaces skin cells while you are sleeping.
- By applying these steps, your skin will be much more apt to smooth makeup application, and yes, even that coveted dewy look!
You can, of course, learn more about all these products on our website. What’s your secret to keeping your skin flawless for makeup at your age? We’d love to hear what it is in the comments! Danielle Key has been working as an aesthetician for 13 years, 3 of those for Dr. Bailey. She discovered her love of makeup, products and natural skin care working at a spa, inspiring her to get her license to become an aesthetician. She currently lives in Northern California with her husband and daughter. Their hobbies include golfing and traveling across the United States.