Your house cleaner gets on your skin and in your lungs. Droplets of aerosol also rain down on your face. This means that what you clean your house with matters very much.
Most home cleaning products are full of allergens, fragrance, preservatives, dyes and other chemicals. As a dermatologist, I see the rashes regularly. You may even have one right now.
Rashes from cleaning products show up as chronically dry patches of skin, hand rashes, or itchy rashes the move around on exposed skin where the chemicals come into skin contact. Patients typically come in frustrated and confused about the uncomfortable and sporadic, itchy/sore skin. They usually try to first figure out which of their personal care products is the culprit. We finally determine the cause by bringing in and examining all the products used in the home. Home cleaning products are the offender.
A Hypoallergenic Solution
The solution is to use truly hypoallergenic products for home cleaning. The benefit is that these are also entirely non-toxic. Truly hypoallergenic products are difficult to find. Even the many seductive products labeled as natural are not so benign, hypoallergenic, or non-toxic. Many ‘natural’ products that have aimed to avoid ‘toxic’ chemicals often replace chemicals with botanical allergens like citrus essential oil.