5 Steps For Smart Sun Protection
A good sun protection plan is like having that good home loan which fit your budget-BEFORE the banking crisis hit. Get your sun protection strategy figured out now before you need it......
because a sunburn is a debt you can never repay!
Over the past month I've explained how to completely sun protect your skin this year using the best that science and medicine has to offer. Now I'm giving you a quick 'easy reference' summary of the information that was outlined in those blog posts. I've also put the post links for the original posts at the bottom of the page in case you want to go back and look at the longer versions.
Dermatologist Dr. Cynthia Bailey's 5 Steps For Smart Sun Protection
- Always use a sunscreen with 5% or more micro zinc oxide listed as an active ingredient. Be sure your sunscreen is no more that a year old and has not been stored in high heat where the ingredients might have broken down. Click here to see the sunscreens that I trust for my patients.
- Apply sunscreen 30 minutes before you go out and every 2 hours when you’re in the sun to all areas of your skin not covered by sun protective clothing. Use a shot glass size portion (1 oz.) for your entire body and at least 1/3 tsp for your face, ears and neck. You'll need more than 1/3 tsp if you need to cover your scalp (1 tsp is recommended to cover the full head and neck). Use a water resistant product for wet or sweaty activities.
- Wear sun protective clothing on as much of your skin as possible.
- Wear a hat with a 3 to 5 inch full brim-not a baseball style hat. Be sure it covers the top of your head too.
- Head for the shade instead of being in direct sunlight-carry a parasol if there’s no shade to be found!
- Wear UV Blocking Sunglasses that can protect your thin eyelid skin and your eyes.
My Ultimate Sun Kit provides everything for complete sun protection (except of course the hat, sunglasses and shade). To see all of the sunscreens that I trust, that I recommend for my patients and that I use for my family click here.
Really enjoy the sun by avoiding the sun burn!
For more sun protection advice: If You Want A Nice Sunburn, Use Last Year's Sunscreen How To Pick The Best Sunscreen How To Apply Sunscreen & Have Healthy, Fabulous Skin Forever Are Your Summer Clothes Good Enough To Be Sun Protective Clothing? Photo attribution: